Thursday, January 24, 2008

to those who consider themselves rebels

there are those who think they are sticking it to the man. but always, the one they are sticking it to is not the man, or if he is, he is the man with a small m. like the guy in the chinese restaurant who refused to serve me, and the other one who wanted to charge me 35 cents for duck sauce, or the mexican guy who still gave me my food to go even though i said "for here" twice. then there were the black kids who asked me where i lived, and the latino kid who asked me if i was puerto rican. i replied "am i supposed to be? and he said "yeah" so i said "yes, i'm puerto rican." he let me pass. there were the other kids who would run me out of the parks and those who asked me why i was walking through "their" park. my answer was that i worked at the high school the park led to. luckily, this satisfied them.

these are the modern race rebels. they haven't done a thing to alter the positions of those power. they know little of institutional oppression, as those same white supremacist institutions have already oppressed them. they choose their opponents wisely. they never victimize ceo's, heads of state, slum lords. they think they are rebels, but they are really the new toms, posturing, playing at power. the only whites they strike out at are the poor, the winos, the ones without suits, the long hairs. of course, they have every right to be angry, but they take their anger out in a cowardly way, on those without the cannons, on those who have committed comparably minor crimes. to the others, the administrators, the teachers, the preachers, the home owners, the employers, they tom.

their bullshit has become a bore. they are not race rebels, but rather, each one is a reactionary. they condemn only those whites victimized by class, and not those who most fully capitalize on their victimization.

now, i know that white supremacy and institutionalized racism are crimes that dwarf this crime that i am currently writing about, but it gets to the point when stupidity in all of its shades no longer satisfies.

my message? if you want to stick it to the man, please, go ahead. it is something that needs to be done.

but, do it for real. cut the crap, and fight for a credible cause.

you heard it here, from me, a bookish, jewish, arm chair commie nerd, who has never starved, been beaten by the police, or called an n every day of his life, whether literally or figuratively, by a racist, genocidal, culture.

i think that gives my words some credibility.

No comments: